This is a simple, convenient, and accurate test for screening your Vitamin D levels (both Vitamin D3 & Vitamin D2). This test you can do in the comfort of your own home.
In latitudes north of Atlanta, GA up to 87% of people are vitamin D deficient during the winter months. Vitamin D deficiency is a real problem today and does not have obvious symptoms, but increases your risk for more serious diseases. Researchers and experts say maintaining sufficient levels of Vitamin D are important in protecting the body from a wide range of health concerns. With this innovative blood spot test, there is no more wasting time, gas and money traveling to a phlebotomist where they stick a painful needle in your arm to pull your blood – you can now take this simple test in the comfort of your home.
Blood spot testing of Vitamin D can help:
- Identify vitamin D deficiency as a potential cause of health problems
- Recommend the right dose of vitamin D as a supplement
- Monitor your D levels during supplementation to ensure you have adequate levels without overdosing
- Understand appropriate ways to safely increase sunlight exposure and modify your diet to include more vitamin D containing foods and/or supplements
- Track treatment progress
Once the lab has received your dried blood spot sample in the laboratory, you will get your vitamin D test results back in about a week. As you continue to monitor your vitamin D levels, they will generate a “History” test report with your newest test result compared with previous tests. This will enable you to track changes associated with interventions that raise vitamin D levels, such as more sun exposure and vitamin D therapy. If you have further questions about vitamin D or blood spot testing, please schedule a consult with Dr. Douillard or talk with an other trained health care provider.
How The Test Works
- Your test will come with easy to follow instructions. Here is a general layout of how it works:
- Fill out the form
- Nick finger with the easy to use lancet.
- Place a drop on the blood spot card.
- Let card dry for at least 30 minutes.
- Mail in the sample.
Kit Contains: 1 test requisition form, 1 UPS pre-printed mailing label, 1 mailing bag, collection instructions, 1 alcohol prep pad, 1 sterile gauze sponge, 1 blood spot card, 1 adhesive latex-free bandage, 2 lancets